Next Course: 10 April – 13 June
Spend two months in a private Big-Five Reserve in the heart of Zululand on our Field Guide course. Enjoy both the comfort of a thatched, air-conditioned chalet, and the adventure of time sleeping out in the bush. Get to grips with driving a gameviewer, tracking animals, handling a rifle, and reserve management skills. At the same time learn about all aspects of the flora and fauna and how to share this information with others.
Who is this course suited to?
Although this course is designed mainly for people who want to qualify and work as a field guide it is also suited to researchers, nature enthusiasts, school leavers and as an educational vacation for anyone who loves the African bush.
FGASA’s ‘Field Guide’ qualification is the minimum entry requirement into the workplace as a field guide. Please refer to our FAQ page to read about the difference between a ‘field guide’ and a ‘game ranger‘.
Course duration – 65 days
Pre-requisites – 18+; Drivers licence; Able to comfortably walk 2km
Additional qualifications included in our Field Guide Course
- Department of labour recognised First Aid Course.
- 4 x 4 driving qualification issued by the Transport Education Training Authority (TETA) – NQF 3.
- Guiding in the natural environment and creating a guided experience
- Climate and Weather
- Biomes (of South Africa)
- Plants (Trees, Shrubs, Forbs and Grasses)
- Arthropods (insects and relatives)
- Animal Behaviour
- Conservation and Habitat management
- Historical human habitation
Additional Activities included in our Field Guide Course
- Track and Sign module leading to an ANT qualification. (Preparation for a Cybertracker assessment)
- Introductory Savanna Birding module leading to an ANT qualification. (Preparation for the FGASA Savanna Birding qualification)
- Introductory Rifle Handling module leading to an ANT qualification. (Preparation for anyone wishing to continue to their FGASA Advanced Rifle Handling (ARH) qualification)
- You will get to spend some time during your course involved in reserve managment activities. Exactly what this entails will depend on what is happening on the reserve over your course dates.
Intibane Camp! Thanda Safari (pictured above). Nestled between bush and beach our camp is located on a 14,500ha Big Five Reserve in the heart of Zululand. Accommodation is in basic thatched chalets with a fan, air conditioner and en suite bathroom. The ultimate training facility!
2018 Course dates
- 10 April – 13 June
- 05 July – 07 September
- 09 October – 12 December
No of students per course
Maximum 10 students per course to ensure the best possible learning experience.
Please note that you need to contact us to find out if there is space before you pay the (non-refundable) registration fee – space is limited!
Certification and Accreditation
Africa Nature Training is a Field Guides Association of Southern Africa (FGASA) accredited training provider. Under the FGASA umbrella ANT is also accredited by CATHSSETA. We will facilitate your registration with FGASA. FGASA will register you with CATHSSETA if you successfully complete the course.